Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
Tennis
Home / Sports / Tennis

World number 1 Ash Barty withdraws from US Open

Xinhua | Updated: 2020-07-30 10:45
Australia's Ashleigh Barty in action during her semi final match against Czech Republic's Petra Kvitova (not pictured) in Doha, Qatar, on Feb 28, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

SYDNEY -- Women's world number 1, Aussie tennis player Ashleigh Barty revealed on Thursday she will not play at this year's US Open, due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.

Barty is the highest profile player so far to pull out of the event which is scheduled to take place in New York from Aug 31 - Sept 13.

"My team and I have decided that we won't be travelling to the US and Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year," Barty said in a statement.

"I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don't feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position."

The 24-year-old was yet to decide if she will defend her French Open championship, with that event rescheduled for late September, and will closely monitor the global COVID-19 situation from her home in the Australian State of Queensland.

"I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA (Women's Tennis Association) European tournaments in the coming weeks," Barty said. 

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US