xi's moments
Home | Heritage

The pinnacle of heritage protection

By ZHANG KUN in Shanghai | China Daily | Updated: 2018-06-16 04:42

The Observatory on the Bund First built in 1844 by the French, this observatory started out as nothing more than a pole with different weather signs hanging from it. In 1907, it was rebuilt into a 45-meter-high meteorological tower. The tower, which was initially located at the crossing of Zhongshan No 1 Road East and Yan’an Road East, was moved 22.4 meters eastward in 1993 during the reconstruction and widening of the road by the Bund. At that time, workers could only move the structure a few centimeters every day. The tower was unaffected by the relocation and the project was hailed as an unprecedented feat at that time.
|<< Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next   >>|
Global Edition
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349