xi's moments
Home | Africa

Military council leader promises a civilian govt

China Daily | Updated: 2019-04-15 10:13

Demonstrators gather during a rally demanding a civilian body to lead the transition period, outside the army headquarters in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on Saturday. MOHAMMED HEMMEAIDA / AFP

The new head of Sudan's military council said on Saturday a civilian government would be formed after consultations with the opposition and promised the transition period would last for a maximum of two years, Reuters reported.

Chairman of Sudan's Transitional Military Council Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan on Saturday also canceled the curfew in the country.

"We announce the cancellation of the curfew and release of all the people tried by the emergency law," said Burhan in a statement aired live by official Sudan TV.

He also declared the dismissal of all states' military governors and the assignment of the commanders of the military areas in the states to run the work, Xinhua News Agency reported.

Thousands remained encamped outside the army headquarters on Saturday in the capital overnight to keep up the pressure on a military council, The Associated Press reported.

A 10-member delegation representing the protesters held talks with the military council and delivered their demands on Saturday, according to a statement by a group leading the protests, the Alliance for Freedom and Change.

One of the alliance's leaders, Omar al-Degier, said in the statement that the demands include restructuring the country's National Intelligence and Security Service, or NISS.

"We surely want our demands to be met, but both sides will have to be flexible to reach a deal," said a protester who spent the night at the army complex.

Sixteen people were killed and 20 others injured during gatherings in Sudan's capital city Khartoum on Thursday and Friday, Sudanese police announced on Friday, according to Xinhua.

On Thursday, Sudanese Defense Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf announced the ouster of President Omar al-Bashir and his government, Xinhua reported.

Later on Friday, he stepped down as head of the transitional military council after only a day in the post.

On Saturday, state news agency and TV announced that the head of the NISS, Salah Abdalla, had also resigned. A replacement has yet to be named.

The African Union, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, and the United Nations on Friday agreed to redouble efforts to support the implementation of a South Sudan revitalized peace agreement, according to Xinhua.

Meeting with US diplomat

The Arab League on Friday also called on the Sudanese people to achieve their aspirations through political dialogue.

Turkey urged for peace and stability in Sudan and wished a soon recovery of the country.

The situation should be overcome peacefully through "national conciliation", Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday, adding that Turkey supports the continuation of "deep-rooted" relations with the African country.

Meanwhile, Deputy Chairman of Sudan's Transitional Military Council Mohamed Hamdan Daqlu met on Sunday with US Charge d'Affaires in Khartoum Steven Koutsis, Xinhua reported.

"The deputy chairman acquainted the US diplomat with the development of the situations in the country, the reasons behind the formation of the transitional military council and the steps made by the council to preserve security and stability in Sudan," said a statement by presidential palace's press administration.


Global Edition
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349