6. "Carrot and Stick" – to reward someone who does what you want or punish them if they don’t
"Carrot and Stick"——胡萝卜大棒政策,奖励按照你指示做的人,惩罚不遵守的人
He likes to use the carrot and stick approach when managing his team.
他喜欢用"胡萝卜大棒"政策管理他的团队。
7. "to bite off more than you can chew" – try to do more than you can manage
"to bite off more than you can chew"——贪多嚼不烂,试图做超出能力范围之外的事
With this new job, I’m afraid Susan has bitten off more than she can chew.
这份新工作恐怕超出了苏珊的能力范围。
8. "to cut the mustard" – to succeed, do something well
"to cut the mustard"——成功,做好某事
He did not last long in the job. He just didn’t cut the mustard.
他这份工作干得不长久。他没能做好这份工作。
9. "to spill the beans" - to tell a secret
"to spill the beans"—— 泄露秘密
Come on! Tell me! Spill the beans! What did he say?
快!告诉我,他到底说了什么呢?
10. "To eat humble pie" – to admit your mistake and apologize
"To eat humble pie"——承认错误,道歉
Brian had to eat humble pie when he realised the mistakes in the budget report.
布莱恩意识到他在预算报告上犯了错,因此不得不道歉。
相关阅读
(来源:沪江英语,中国日报网英语点津 Helen 编辑)