China court hears Myanmar-linked fraud case involving $353 million scam
By CAO YIN | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2026-05-22 16:36
A four-day trial concluded on Friday in Fujian province involving three defendants accused of multiple crimes, including fraud, intentional homicide and extortion, as part of a major telecom fraud case linked to northern Myanmar.
The Quanzhou Intermediate People's Court held a public hearing from Tuesday and said it will announce the verdict at a later date.
Prosecutors said that since 2019, defendants led by Wai San exploited influence in Kokang, northern Myanmar, to establish multiple compounds that attracted financiers and armed protection. The compounds were used to carry out telecom fraud targeting Chinese citizens, as well as organize illegal border crossings and extortion.
The prosecution said the group defrauded more than 2.4 billion yuan ($353 million) and that its activities led to the deaths of two Chinese nationals. It also said another defendant associated with the group was involved in the killing of two additional Chinese citizens.
Prosecutors presented evidence in court, and defendants and their lawyers cross-examined it during the proceedings. The trial was attended by national lawmakers, political advisers, and family members of victims and defendants.
In October, prosecutors in Quanzhou formally filed charges against the group.
Chinese authorities have in recent years intensified crackdowns on telecom fraud, particularly cross-border operations in northern Myanmar. Official data released in March showed about 69,000 people were prosecuted for telecom fraud in 2025. The Supreme People's Court said in its annual report that 16 defendants linked to Myanmar-based family syndicates received death sentences last year.





















